Transform Yourself - Transform the World!
Who We Are
Tribe of Men is a nonprofit men’s group based in the San Francisco Bay Area with members in multiple states and Washington DC.
Our purpose is to expand the consciousness and integrity of men, both individually and collectively, in service to all beings and to our planet.
We engage in a continual process of self-inquiry and shared learning, working together to realize our potential as powerful, loving, and effective men. We use a unique set of transformational tools that support us in the fulfillment of our potential.
We challenge and support each other to live and act in accordance with a set of Tribe Principles around integrity and wholeness, growth and learning, love and relationships, and purposeful work.
The Tribe of Men was established in 2004, and we continue to expand our community and influence.
What We Do
Small Group Meetings – Tribesmen and prospective Tribesmen meet on a monthly basis in what we call Challenge Groups. These small groups of 5-9 men are comprised of initiated Tribesmen, men on a path towards initiation, and occasional visitors. Within each of these groups, we: create a safe space for men to share their toughest issues; challenge one another to do deep, transformational work that leads to real change in our lives; and find trusted connection and fellowship.
In addition to Challenge Groups Tribe of Men offers a “no commitment” Drop In Group that meets monthly via Zoom using a similar format as the Challenge Groups. Upcoming dates can be found here.
Tribe Initiations – Men who wish to become initiated Tribesmen undertake a rigorous process of self-exploration with the help of an experienced Tribesman as a guide. They then receive a life-changing personal challenge to be fulfilled over a period of 2-3 months. The process culminates when we come together as a full Tribe for an annual Initiation weekend. Prospective initiates embody their transformational journey for a group of Tribesmen and other initiates.
Tribe Rings: Leadership and Facilitation – Most Tribesmen participate in one of the Tribe Rings, smaller groups charged with leading various aspects of Tribe operations. These groups are great opportunities for men to learn new skills, develop their leadership abilities, and build relationships with Tribesmen outside their Challenge Groups. We also have a Facilitation Ring, in which men have the opportunity to learn and strengthen their facilitation skills.
Spring 2024 Initiation
If you’re like many of us, there’s a gap between the man you are and the man you’re trying to become.
Many of us have things we know we need to stop or start doing to be the person we want to become. We may need new habits, skills, knowledge, or support in taking action to close that gap between where we are and our future selves.
Making progress in closing that gap rarely happens overnight or in a weekend workshop. It typically requires concerted effort over a period of time.
The Tribe of Men offers an initiation process that occurs over four months to identify the one thing you want to change the most and offer you an opportunity to demonstrate that you’ve changed.
Men have received personalized Initiation challenges to:
- Find a new romantic partner
- Shift relationships with wives, sons, or daughters.
- Find his purpose
- Take concerted action toward his purpose.
- Expand his creativity by writing music or a book
- Establish a solid, repeatable connection to spirit
- …and many, many more.
February 2024 update: The 2024 Initiation Round is full. Our next initiation round is tentatively scheduled for the Spring of 2025. To be informed of the 2025 Initiation Round, sign up here.
“The light by which we see our way forward”
When we created the Tribe of Men, we developed a set of guiding principles as standards we could measure ourselves against, and ideals toward which we could grow. They support and serve each of us in living deeper, fuller, and more effective lives.
We do not consider our principles to be fixed truths, however. Rigid adherence to the principles as if they were unbending rules, or venerating them as all-important, would violate the principles themselves. These are our guidelines, the lights by which we see our way forward.
Tribe of Men Principles:
- I speak my truth, and invite others to speak theirs.
- I communicate my feelings and intentions clearly.
- I keep my commitments and fulfill my obligations.
- I take responsibility for my impact.
- I care for my body, my family, my community, and my planet.
- I embody masculine power.
- I am committed to a never-ending journey of self-exploration.
- I am both student and teacher, always learning from everything and everyone around me.
- I seek to become a better and better instrument of my higher purpose.
- I courageously explore the depths of what it means to be fully human and fully a man.
- I give and receive love, exploring and honoring all of its aspects.
- I reach out to others with empathy and understanding.
- I am flexible and understanding with myself and others.
- I see and treat myself and others as expressions of the divine.
- I set goals and intentions that serve myself and others.
- I do work in the world that is a true expression of myself and my life’s purpose.
- I apply myself fully to my chosen endeavors.
- I express my power in service.
- I am guided by something really big and murky.
Learn More about The Tribe of Men
Contact Us to talk with a tribesman. There are many men available who can answer your questions. We’ll direct you to the best person to answer your question.
About the Tribe of Men
Founded in 2004, the Tribe of Men is a nonprofit men’s organization dedicated to expanding the consciousness of men in service to all beings and the planet. We are not affiliated with any church or religious group.
As of 2024, we have more than 65 active members, or tribesmen, distributed among 10 Challenge Groups. Eight groups are in the San Francisco Bay Area and two are in Washington, D.C. For men in other cities, we offer virtual Challenge Groups. We also have a group that aims to strengthen men’s facilitation skills, and a leadership group to develop leadership skills and operate the Tribe.
Tribe of Men is a California 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation. “Tribe of Men” is a registered trademark.